|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Tunbridge Wells (day three)|
|Kent 309 & 277-3: Denly 111*, Bell-Drummond 79; Pattinson 2-67|
|Nottinghamshire 267: Nash 67, Patel 52; Milnes 5-68|
|Kent (6 pts) lead Notts (5 pts) by 319 runs|
England batsman Joe Denly scored a fine unbeaten century to help put Kent in charge against winless Nottinghamshire at Tunbridge Wells.
Denly made 111 not out off 176 balls as the hosts closed day three on 277-3 in their second innings, a lead of 319.
A 152 stand with Daniel Bell-Drummond (79) took the game away from Notts.
In the morning session the visitors collapsed from 208-4 to 267 all out, with paceman Matt Milnes (5-68) taking a first five-wicket haul of his career.
Denly, who was left out of England’s World Cup squad, had only scored 44 runs in five County Championship innings as he came to the crease at 19-1.
But the 33-year-old rediscovered the form which saw him score more than 2,000 first-class runs and nine hundreds in the 2017 and 2018 campaigns, hitting 13 fours and spending more than four hours in the middle.
Bell-Drummond was also impressive in making his second half-century in 14 innings this season before he nicked James Pattinson behind.
A heavy shower ended play 11 overs early, time out of the game that may well affect Kent’s chances of winning.
Nottinghamshire, who are bottom of Division One, had begun the day hoping of a first-innings lead – but once captain Steven Mullaney was bowled by Milnes to leave them 228-5, the innings folded.
Mullaney’s side are now likely to have to bat for the majority of three sessions on Thursday to prevent a fourth loss in seven matches.
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Radlett|
|Middlesex 151-3 (51 overs): Robson 85*|
|Glamorgan: Yet to bat|
|Middlesex 0 pts, Glamorgan 1 pt|
Sam Robson’s season-best score of 85 not out gave Middlesex a solid start as they reached 151-3 against Glamorgan on a rain-shortened first day at Radlett.
After a lost morning, Robson looked composed in bowler-friendly cloudy conditions, with a green-tinged strip for Radlett’s first Championship game.
Despite an opening stand of 77 with Stevie Eskinazi (31), Robson’s partners looked less assured.
David Lloyd, Graham Wagg and Marchant de Lange claimed a wicket each.
The hosts did well to survive relatively unscathed after being put in to bat by Lloyd.
But Glamorgan’s seamers notched up plenty of near-misses.
Middlesex batsman Sam Robson told BBC Sport Wales:
“It was tough. They bowled well, so it was pleasing. We’re happy with where we’re at.
“We’ve played a bit here and trained here so we knew what it was like. The ground staff have done a great job here considering the weather over the last week and a half.
“There was still good value for shots, so we knew if we could hang in, there were scoring opportunities.
“I’ve not got as many as I would have liked over the last few weeks, so it was good to be back in the runs. Hopefully I can keep going.”
Glamorgan captain David Lloyd told BBC Sport Wales:
“A frustrating day, we did bowl pretty well in parts and probably deserved a couple more wickets. Another day we could have got them five or six down but it wasn’t meant to be.
“We’ll look to go bang-bang in the morning and put the pressure back on them.
“When you come to out grounds you know what to expect. It’s a lovely ground and a nice wicket.
“The lads reacted well because it might have drifted away but we got wickets. It’s a shame we couldn’t have got one more but not a bad day.”
Richard Essien, aka Magical Bones, started out breakdancing on London’s South Bank.
But as well as dancing he has a passion for magic.
After performing at gigs including Madonna’s son’s 10th birthday party, he is now travelling the world with his magic-inspired dancing act.
A barbecue on a balcony could have caused a block of flats to be engulfed by fire, according to its builders.
Twenty flats with wooden balconies were destroyed and 10 more damaged in Sunday’s fire in Barking, east London.
Residents said concerns were raised with builder Bellway Homes about potential fire hazards.
A Bellway spokesman said they it was “relieved that the fire protection measures… ensured that occupants were safely evacuated”.
The London Fire Brigade said the cause of the fire was still under investigation.
Fire investigators and scientific advisers have been at the scene carrying out “extensive investigations”, the service added.
It said: “We understand that the blaze was contained to the external envelope of the eastern elevation of the building, with initial reports suggesting that it was caused by a barbecue on a resident’s balcony.”
The Metropolitan Police said 15 to 18 families were evacuated from their homes and taken to the Thames View Community Centre, about a mile from the scene.
Following an investigation by BBC Watchdog in May, Peter Mason, chair of the Barking Reach residents’ association, said he asked Bellway Homes to review the fire risk.
In an email seen by the BBC from the firm last month, Bellway said the construction method used on the development in Scotland examined by Watchdog was different and so the Barking homes in De Pass Gardens were not affected in the same way.
More than 100 firefighters tackled the Barking blaze, which spread over six floors, for more than two hours.
A Bellway spokesman said the fire was “a very serious issue” and said it was working with all parties to establish how it happened”.
He added: “Whilst we are continuing our investigations into this matter, we are supporting London Borough of Barking and Dagenham in securing alternative temporary accommodation for affected residents and are offering our support to help remediate the damaged apartments.”
Real Madrid have signed Belgium forward Eden Hazard from Chelsea on a five-year contract.
The 28-year-old will be presented as a Real player on 13 June, subject to passing a medical at the Bernabeu.
Hazard scored 110 goals in 352 games for Chelsea after joining from Lille in 2012, and scored twice as they won the Europa League final last week.
“The memories he leaves us with will not fade,” said Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia.
“He provided all who watched Chelsea play with great entertainment and many match-winning contributions, and for that we thank Eden enormously.
“He has been a model professional throughout his time at the club, a wonderful individual to have around and a joy to work with.”
More to follow.
A drug dealer who sparked fears of a Novichok attack similar to that which hospitalised a former Russian spy and his daughter has been jailed.
Alex King went on the run in December after claiming he had been poisoned at a Prezzo restaurant in Salisbury.
The hoax in September came six months after the nerve agent was used against Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia.
King, 42, was found guilty of selling drugs, including cocaine and ecstasy and sentenced in January to 11 years.
He was arrested on Wednesday, admitted breaching his bail, and was jailed at Southwark Crown Court for a further four months.
‘Glamorous, seedy existence’
King claimed he had been poisoned in a branch of Prezzo, where he had been dining with his Russian-born wife, Anna Shapiro, last September.
It sparked a major incident and the area was sealed off in echoes of the aftermath involving the Skirpals, who fell ill shortly after leaving Zizzi, another Italian dining chain in the city.
King was last seen leaving a flat near Harley Street, with his wife, on 17 December.
He was arrested about half a mile away at an address in Chiltern Street, in Marylebone, west London.
Scotland Yard said a 30-year-old woman who was arrested for assisting an offender remains in police custody.
King’s lifestyle was laid bare in court earlier this year when he was convicted of two charges of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs, one charge of conspiracy to supply Class B drugs and one charge of conspiracy to supply Class C drugs.
Sebastian Gardiner, defending one of King’s associates, described King in court as a “very bizarre” character who lived a “glamorous, albeit seedy, existence”, making money from arranging parties, selling drugs and supplying high-class escorts to his VIP clients.
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Lord’s (day one)|
|Middlesex 138: Harris 38*; Wiese 5-26|
|Sussex 169-4: Salt 50; Murtagh 3-34|
|Sussex (3 pts) lead Middlesex (1 pt) by 31 runs|
Middlesex were skittled for just 138 by Sussex on day one as the visitors took early control of the game at Lord’s.
Sussex seamer David Wiese starred with 5-26 and paceman Ollie Robinson claimed three wickets with only James Harris (38 not out) passing 20 for Middlesex.
Captain Dawid Malan, who has been in superb form this season, was one of five batsmen to edge behind for 15.
Sussex closed on 169-4, a lead of 31, with opener Phil Salt (50) one of three wickets for Irishman Tim Murtagh.
Harris gave Middlesex a late boost by removing Laurie Evans lbw for 31, but Stiaan van Zyl went to stumps on 46.
Charlton Athletic have offered new deals to Joe Aribo, Patrick Bauer, Jake Forster-Caskey and Tariqe Fosu after winning promotion from League One.
Centre-back Bauer, 26, scored the 94th-minute goal which sealed a 2-1 win over Sunderland in Sunday’s play-off final.
Meanwhile, Josh Parker and Jonny Williams are among six players who have been released by manager Lee Bowyer.
Nicky Ajose, Mark Marshall, Ben Reeves and Igor Vetokele will also leave The Valley when their contracts expire.
Forward Parker, 28, and Wales international Williams, 25, both featured against the Black Cats at Wembley.
“They are all different reasons as to why we haven’t offered those lads contracts,” Bowyer told the club website.
“Obviously they’ve played a massive part in last season and that was probably the hardest part of any discussion I’ve had since being in charge.”
Door ‘half open’ for Williams
Bowyer says financial reasons are behind the decision to release midfielder Williams, who joined the Addicks from Crystal Palace in January and has already been the subject of rumoured interest from Championship side Swansea.
“Jonny came from a Premier League club who were paying most of his wage,” the 42-year-old said.
“For us to get close to what he was on before is just impossible.
“He’s going to have other clubs that are interested in him. If the money isn’t what he’s looking for, or if there is any way we can get close to it, then we will be speaking to his agent.
“It’s not like we’ve shut the door on him – it’s half open.”
|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Edgbaston (day one):|
|Warwickshire 275-8: Norwell 58*, Hain 47; Dunn 3-59|
|Surrey: Yet to bat|
|Warwickshire (2 pts), Surrey (2 pts)|
Warwickshire fast bowlers Liam Norwell and Henry Brookes transformed the first day at Edgbaston as they shared an unbroken ninth-wicket stand of 89 to stun reigning county champions Surrey.
After slumping to 186-8 despite gritty knocks from Sam Hain (47), Will Rhodes (39) and Adam Hose (38), the Bears were set to go without batting points again.
Instead, Norwell slammed 58 and Brookes made 35 as Surrey’s attack wilted.
The pair both belted some fine shots to reach the close unparted on 275-8.
That earned two batting points, plus the prospect of a potential third in the morning, which would double the Bears’ previous haul for the season.
Prior to that, on a weather-affected day which brought two separate short breaks in play, injury-hit Surrey’s bowlers had dominated, including three victims for recalled fast bowler Matt Dunn.
After being put in to bat, a painstaking first half-century stand of the season for Bears openers Dom Sibley and Rhodes was ended by veteran spinner Gareth Batty, who removed both in successive overs just before lunch.
But after Dunn had seemingly put Surrey right in control, Norwell, on his home debut, and Brookes transformed the contest in the final hour.
They started to go for their shots when Dean Elgar came on for an over of spin just before the new ball was due – and 17 came from it, capped by two sixes in three balls from Brookes.
But they then kept up the attack, twice taking 16 off an over from South Africa paceman Morne Morkel, thanks to seven boundaries off in the space of 11 deliveries off him from the free-spirited Norwell.
Warwickshire all-rounder Liam Norwell told BBC WM:
“Henry and I are both naturally quite attacking players so we just played out natural game and played our shots and luckily it came off.
“It was a mixture of good shots and a bit of luck. I rode my luck at times but it was just good to be out in the middle with Henry. He is a lot of fun to bat with.
“The lads up top did the hard graft. Now we are in a pretty strong position and we have just got to focus in the morning and try to get up to 300 for that third batting point.”
Surrey fast bowler Matt Dunn told BBC Radio London:
“All day, the bowlers worked so hard together. We knew it was going to be tough but everyone bowled in partnerships and bowled for each other.
“It was a shame that it just got away from us a little bit at the end because we were in a great position but I think we would have taken this at the start of the day.
“It is great to be back in the team. I am so proud to wear the Surrey badge. It is everything to me. It is nice to get out there again and perform.”
A controlled explosion has been carried out on a World War Two bomb found near Kingston University, the Metropolitan Police said.
The unexploded device was found on a building site on Thursday morning.
Nearly 1,500 homes were also evacuated and the Met warned some may be without gas and electricity while surveyors carried out checks.
Police cordons in the Kingston area will remain in place while the site is assessed, the Met added.
The controlled explosion was carried out by the armed forces’ specialist Explosive Ordinance Disposal team.
On Thursday, Kingston Council confirmed two polling stations being used for the European elections had to be shut while the bomb was being dealt with.
Students and staff from Kingston University’s Penrhyn Road and Knights Park campuses, as well as the University’s nursery and some student halls, have been affected by the cordon.